OK, I know Star Trek Armada 2 is a really old game, from 95/98/ME days, but I've had a hankering for playing it. So I set out to see if I can get it. Unfortunately, since I run 64-bit windows (of course, who doesn't now a days), it doesn't run. Sort of starts, shows a black screen, then stops. That's all. Lame right. So, I fired up VMWare Workstation, set up a XP 32-bit guest and installed it there, mostly works, some weird issues with it though. 1, my laptop's screen is 1920x1080, and I wanted that resolution, so I first set out to change that. Open explorer and go to the location you installed it, by default on 32 bit systems it is:
C:\Program Files\Activision\Star Trek Armada II. Once there look for a
ARMADA.PRF file. Open it up in notepad. You'll see a bunch of stuff in there, name the name of your video card, you'll want to look at the next line. That is where you set the resolution. Width is in the 7th place, height is in the 8th.For a 1920x1080 resolution on my virtual machine (the video card is a
VMware SVGA II (Primary), this is the file for me:
9704529 2 3 1 2 0 0 1 0.28 1 1 0 20 20 20 20 16 1 1 VMware SVGA II (Primary) 0.5 0.5 5 5 5 2 1920 1080 32 1 0 1 0 0.625 1 0 1 0 150
Simple. notice the 1920 and 1080 in there. Once I did that and the game started with my resolution, every time I moved the mouse it resized and went back to the 800x600 resolution and all the graphics were messed up.
- In VMware Goto the view menu, then Autosize, and uncheck Autofit Window.
- Change display settings
- Shutdown the guest os, if it's running
- Click the VM menu
- Click Settings
- Click the Display option from the list on the left
- Choose specify monitor settings, set it to 1 monitor, and set the Max resolution to the resolution of your monitor.
- Inside of the VM, you need to change the resolution of the display to the max.
- Right click the desktop
- Click properties
- Click the settings tab
- Drag the slider in the screen resolution all the way to the right
- Click on the OK button
- Click OK on the box that pops up, it might not popup, if it doesn't don't worry about it.
- Play and enjoy Armada 2